Columbia County Sheriff’s Office public information officer Sgt. Ed Seifert said the device was neither incendiary nor explosive, but noted it created noxious fumes, resulting in the school’s staff vacating the cafeteria. “All the kids are OK — that’s what our biggest concern was,” said Columbia County Sheriff Mark Hunter, who noted the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office planned to pursue charges against the student.
“The children had been relocated out of the classrooms and the school officials had the trash can outside,” Atkinson said. “The firefighters did ventilation of the cafeteria area with positive pressure ventilation fans, they evaluated some of the students there and heard some minor complaints and that’s when we turned it over to EMS for their evaluation.”
|Make a Smilebox slideshow|